Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tathra Beach Cafe, Tathra NSW

Tathra Beach Cafe

http://www.tathra-beach.com.au/beachcafe/

Food: 2.5/5
Atmosphere: 3.5/5
Service: 3/5


Tathra Beach Cafe boasts a beautiful view of the ocean and the location couldn't be better......although I wish I could say the same about their food. I remember breakfasts here being a decent serving, well known for their healthy, creative menu. Unfortunately, during my last visit the meals we ordered did not live up to what I remember as a few years ago.

I had noticed recently that Tathra Beach Cafe had been through some renovations just before their opening at the beginning of the 2011 summer season, but for the better or worse? It's hard to say. The addition of a (very, very) small licenced bar area just hasn't made the cafe any more appealing. This is particularly true if you actually enjoy an ocean view whilst sipping on a summer cocktail or wine, or throwing back a relaxed beer. If you prefer being jammed into a tiny boxed area with a view of no less than three walls, and an extremely limited number of tables and stools (try two tables) then this is the place for you.

The decor was drab and lifeless, reminding me of some of the classrooms I have taught in during the past - a little too white and ghostly for me. I can safely assume that the establishment has recently changed hands yet again - and I can hope that during the next change of hands, someone can turn this cafe around into the full potential that it could be. Sadly, I believe the photos on their website are proof of better days.





Standard skinny flat white

The (only) interesting item of decor.
  
Free range eggs - two scrambled eggs with toast  $9.50

Green eggs with feta - three eggs scrambled with feta, rocket, basil and shallots served toasted turkish bread. This breakfast was refreshing and light, definitely one of the only things I would come back for.  $16.50



No comments:

Post a Comment